August 31, 2011

France 2011

I'm back in town briefly before I fly out to Halifax to visit a friend who recently got married and moved out east, so here's a brief recap of my trip:


The sun was setting when my flight left for France.



The organic farm I stayed on was in the Normandy region, near a small town called Bernay.



The days were long, the work was tiring and there were times when I asked myself why I chose to do manual labour for my vacation. But it was a great learning experience and I now have an even greater appreciation for farmers.



I fed this (not so) little guy every morning and night.



La mer.




All the other WWOOFers I met on the farm were wonderful and they helped make things bearable when times were tough. During my last week, it was myself and three Germans. We spent the nights playing cards, eating chocolate and walnuts while they taught me German words and phrases. Thank you for the laughs.



Then it was time for Paris. I was sad to leave, yet relieved to be out of my manure-covered clothes and be in the city. I had fantastic tips of things to do in Paris from two French WWOOFers who introduced me to foie gras and taught me what makes a good croissant and baguette. Important knowledge that everyone should know.



I ate. A lot. I sampled chocolates, macarons and pastries from different shops all over the city. I also walked a lot to try and burn off all the sugar and buttery goodness I was consuming. And when I was tired, I would return to my rented apartment and sit on the balcony to watch the world go by.


The end.

2 comments:

  1. foie gras is aweome 

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is!  I bought a can back and I've been eating it all week, mmm.

    ReplyDelete