May 31, 2012

Rhubarb Compote



Sprrring! Warm weather! (Yes, those exclamation marks were necessary.)



Spring also means the arrival of new vegetables at the farmers' market, which is very, very exciting. (To me, anyway.)





The first sign of leafy greens were ramps (aka wild leeks), which I snatched up and turned into a pesto. Ramps are an intense combination of onions and garlic and as someone who loves both, raw ramp pesto was even a little too intense for my liking. Will attempt to roast or saute them next time.





These weird (but delightful) looking things are fiddleheads. I ate fiddleheads for the first time last year, had my mind blown and have been (impatiently) waiting for them to come into season again.



Oh asparagus, how I love thee. This ribboned asparagus and quinoa salad is fantastic and an absolute must try.



Nothing says spring like rhubarb. So pink and pretty! I will leave you with a simple rhubarb compote recipe.


Rhubarb Compote
Adapted from Epicurious

3 cups 1-inch pieces of fresh rhubarb (about 1 pound or 4 stalks)
1/2 cup natural cane sugar

Combine the rhubarb with sugar and allow the rhubarb to macerate for several hours; it will release its own delicious juice.

Throw everything into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rhubarb falls apart and the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally (about 15-20 minutes). Chill and refrigerate. Great on yoghurt, ice cream, pancakes, toast, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... looks good.  Looking forward to spring and summer vegetables and fruits.  I am going to give this a try (hoping to get some local rhubarb this summer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy this!  I, too, am eagerly waiting for summer fruits and vegetables (I can't believe we're nearing the end of spring already).  I have big plans this year and I am determined to bring them to fruition. 

    ReplyDelete