August 27, 2012

Grilled Corn & Cheddar Quinoa



I am trying to break the habit of complaining about how busy my life is (as per this article), but my August was a little bit ridiculous. The only time I actually stepped foot inside my home was to sleep in my bed; I wish I was kidding. I've lost an alarming amount of weight over the past several months, but I guess the bonus of that is I get to eat whatever the heck I want.



This long weekend, however, I am making an escape from life and heading north of the city. My plans are to sleep, relax and be one with nature. Lather, rinse, repeat. Bags under my eyes, be gone!



As I count down the days (four to go!), I share with you this recipe and I beg of you to make this as soon as possible because it is insanely delicious. It is summer in a bowl. Make this before the season is over and sweet, sweet corn is no longer available. You will thank me later, I promise you.



Grilled Corn & Cheddar Quinoa
Slighted adapted from How Sweet It Is

Please, for the love of everything, get your hands on some real cheese rather than the neon orange stuff from the supermarket. I had some 5 year old cheddar in my fridge and it brought this dish to a whole other level.

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
4 ears of sweet corn
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Shuck corn, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 450 degrees. Unwrap foil, put the corn under the broiler and broil for several minutes, until they char and are lightly browned.

(Alternatively, you can roast the corn on the barbecue, grill them, etc. Use your favourite method!)

Allow corn to cool, then cut the kernels off the cob.

Bring chicken stock to boil, add quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 15-18 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Immediately stir in butter and cheddar. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add in corn and half of the cilantro and stir to combine. Top off with the rest of the cilantro. Consume. You're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading that article.  "
    Life is too short to be busy."  So true.  I am on my way to become less busy by dropping evening tutoring and making sure I say, "no I am going home" because if I don't, I will end up planning forever.  I am glad that you got some time away, hopefully you did lots of relaxation and sleeping!

    We got some fresh corn last week from our CSA farmer/friend.  If only I saw this earlier.  I love corn and quinoa.  Great combination!  Although, I might skip the cilantro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo, the cilantro is the best part!  (Says the cilantro lover.)  The recipe originally called for 1/4 cup but I upped it to nearly 1 cup, which I think is too much for everyone else but perfect for me.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha cilantro is the only thing I cannot eat.  The flavour is extremely strong for me.  It's so prominent in Taiwanese cuisine, so I spend lots of time picking it out.  Now I know who I can give my cilantro to!  ;)

    ReplyDelete